Friday, May 21, 2010

CSK V/S KXIP - More than just a match

Ever since IPL started three years ago, I have been an ardent supporter of CSK, reason being their captain, MSD. Atul, one of my best friends (Yes, I have more than one BEST Friend, lucky me), has been a supporter of the KXIP since many of his fav cricketers are in that team, Yuvraj included. The fact that Prieti Zinta is the team owner does help the cause as well.

So, as you all know, when a match between two teams is scheduled, the battle off the field (between the fans) is as intersting as the one on the field. I and my NOT SO GOOD friend during the course of every IPL(enemy would be a better word), Atul, are no different. If you go by what our friends have to say, the battle between our teams, no matter how interesting, is nothing compared to the battle between the two of us.

It was just before the start of IPL 1, I was in Chennai, Atul in Bangalore and he called me(no I am not doing any ad for my or Atul's virginity, if you know what I mean). We were talking about IPL, about the different teams; If you would have heard us talking, you would definitely have asked us to replace Lalit Modi as the Commissioner. One thing led to another, and then that moment came when I became an enemy of KXIP, thanks to Atul, more tan I was a fan of CSK and vice versa.

The first match between the two teams, I was still in Chennai; but we were abusing each other(we didnt spare anyone, Please apply your imagination) over the chat all the time. And then CSK won; I could not stand the excitement, the joy, the happiness; so I called Mr A. Manchanda; who was so ashamed, he did not pick the phone up. The smile turned into laughter, I could not control; I called another friend and asked him to put the phone on speaker. As soon as he did that, I could not utter a word; the only thing I could do was laugh, laugh and just laugh. (Secret - If our common friends are to be believed, they saw tears pouring down Mr A's eyes).

He was determined to beat me in the second game (No, he wasnt going to play for KXIP, just pray for them and thats what KXIP needed at that time - he he he). Well, I won again. The happiest I was when Yuvi got out, as he was in top form(What an irony, we pray for the same player to get out for whom we had just prayed to play well sometime back; but thats what IPL does to you).

The saga continued in IPL 2 - CSK clean sweeping KXIP. Mr A. finally smelled a win in IPL 3 but by that time he had started liking CSK, thanks to RCB supporters (This is a different story, Will share later). The second match was won by CSK again, which got them to the SF of the third season of IPL which they eventually won. Atul was all praise for MSD in that match against KXIP.

I hope this clash between me and Atul does not end any time soon, because both of us enjoy the competetion, ad deep down inside, we both know how much respect we have for each other.

As of now, me and BEST friend would be sitting down on Saturday over a bottle of beer to discuss the current scenarion of World cricket, which we do every weekend.

This post is dedicated to my friend - ATUL MANCHANDA.

4 comments:

  1. Woh thanks alot for the dedication and good writing.. Even though I am being made fun of, I liked how u have summarized everything.. cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Atul (In dedication of course)...I am enjoying the writing of yours.Secret is..I am getting inspired to at least put my thoughts in words..which I had left long time back..Thnks to you...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome .... I am with you on CSK.. for the same reason .... MSD.... :)

    Vishal, I thoroughly enjoyed this blog from u... we have a common passion.... all four of us... I mean Manish, me, you and Rinku... let's plan to be together sometime to enjoy the madness called cricket....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful ! felt great and nostalgic reading through this account of can't-live-without battle with friends. It's amazing how sports (especially Cricket in India) can so easily make one's emotions get the better of him/her and go on to bestow innumerable beautiful memories on us to cherish all our lives.

    Keep writing with soul. Cheers !

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete